Five Reasons to Read God’s Word This Year
1. It will teach you God’s ways.
- All God’s ways are good and right (Prov 3:13,17; Rev 15:3)
- God commands you to walk in his ways (Dt 10:12; Ps 25:8-10)
- God teaches his ways through his word (Ps 1:1-2; Prov 8:32-35)
2. It will guide you in God’s paths.
- God’s word shows the right way to go (Prov 16:25; Jer 6:16; Ps 119:105)
- It shows you the best way to get there (Is 48:17; Prov 3:5-6)
- It helps you walk close with God all the way (Ps 23:1-3, 32:8)
3. It will strengthen you for your tasks.
- God’s word equips you (2 Tim 3:16-17; Psalm 18:30-36)
- God’s word nourishes you (Matthew 4:4; Job 23:12)
- God’s word gives you wisdom to succeed (Prov 24:3-6; Josh 1:8)
4. It will comfort you in your sorrows.
- The Scriptures were written for your encouragement (Romans 15:4)
- The gospel is good news for the poor and brokenhearted (Isaiah 61:1-3)
- God’s promises preserve your life (Psalm 119:28,49-52)
5. It will protect you from harm.
- God’s word guards against wrong paths (Proverbs 2:6-12)
- God’s word helps you fight against temptation (Ps 119:9-11; Eph 6:17)
- God sanctifies you by the truth of his word (John 17:15-17)
taken from www.rayfowler.org